John Richardson Auldjo was a British geologist and artist, descended from a family of merchants and politicians. He studied at Cambridge and was the first British to climb the Montblanc, shortly before he embarked on the Grand Tour of the East. He was a close friend of well-known archaeologist and topographer W. Gell, one of the most eminent scholars of modern Greece.
What is Kobo Super Points?
From Auldjo stayed in Naples, where he socialized with several antiquarians and Philhellenes and climbed the Vesuvius, which was active at the time. Later on he published the account of his climb on Mont Blanc and Vesuvius, with great editorial success.
- Portable Houses?
- Buy It Now.
- Learn more about our titles below.?
- The Eye of the Beholder (Fairytale Collection, book 1);
- Amor Intellectualis;
- Gullivers Travels Level 4 Oxford Bookworms Library: 1400 Headwords.
- Journal Of A Visit To Constantinople And Some Of The Greek Islands In The Spring And Summer Of 1833.
He was awarded several prizes for his achievements in mountaineering. In Auldjo travelled to Istanbul and the Greek islands. He started out in April , in the company of the British consul in Athens. He visited the city monuments and the tomb of John Tweddell at Theseion.
For a short time he lived among the Bavarian court and Athenian society. He subsequently sailed to the Troad and the Dardanelles, to end up in Istanbul.
John Auldjo - lots in our price database - rollgolfmaspobi.cf
First edition. Inscribed by the author on the title page. A6, B-R8, S2. Vignette on title page, seven etched plates by George Cruickshank.
Contemporary half-green morocco over marbled boards [label of N. Hickman of Baltimore on front pastedown], title gilt the number 3 on the spine indicates this was part of a set of the author's works.
Boards rubbed along the edges, top edge trimmed, minor foxing on plates, front hinge cracked but sound, else very good condition. John Auldjo, , geologist and Alpinist, was born July 26, in Montreal. His father's death left him independently wealthy and he spent much of his time traveling.
Journal of a Visit to Constantinople and Some of the Greek Islands in the Spring
Go to accessibility notice. Keyword Search. There are currently no items available for purchase in this Department.
- Childrens book in Polish: My Daddy is the best: Polish Kids book. (Polish Edition) Childrens Polish book (Bilingual Edition) English Polish Picture book ... (Bilingual Polish books for children 7)?
- Organizing Women Workers in the Informal Economy: Beyond the Weapons of the Weak (Feminisms and Development)?
- To the Movies;
- Shop by category!
- The Freedom Riders and the Lost Scrolls of Atlantis.
- Homebrew Equipment (Full Color Edition).
Search our Auction Archives below to find item values. LOT Make Offer: Make Offer to Owner.